City Clerk

The Office of the City Clerk is the office of record for the Legislative Branch of Government, the official custodian of the City Seal, the administrative support for the City Council, and the official keeper of the City Code Book. In addition to being a liaison between the Council Members and their constituents, this office also provides many required municipal and New York State licensing and permit services. 

Our goal is to continue to provide the Council and the public with superior service, ever striving toward innovation, change or improvement that will make The Office of the City Clerk more efficient and responsive.

The City Clerk's office proudly issues the following:

Auctioneer License Application | PDF*
Certificate Of Residence | Learn More
Commercial Amusement LicensePDF*
Commissioner of Deeds PDF 
Dealer in Precious Metals | PDF*
Dog LicensesLearn More
Electrician License (Master or Class B) | Learn More
Fireworks Permit ApplicationPDF*
Fishing Permits for Tomhannock Reservoir | Learn More
Genealogy Searches (marriage records only) | Learn More
Genealogy Searches (Birth & Death Records) | Learn More
Marriage License | Learn More
Peddlers LicensePDF*
Plumber's License | Learn More
Secondhand Dealer's License| PDF*
Special Events & Block Party ApplicationLearn More *
Tattoo Parlor Registration | Learn More*
Vendor Permit | Learn More
Wild Animals | Learn More

Residents who own, possess, or harbor a wild animal must report it annually to the City Clerk.
   We are sometimes asked . . . | FAQ*
 * Requires a background check. Download form here.| PDF

Contact the City Clerk at (518)279-7134 to get more info for:

  • Amusement and Theater License
  • Games of Chance and Bingo License

If applicable, make checks payable to: Troy City Clerk. Mail completed application and include any required documentation to Troy City Clerk, 433 River Street, Troy, New York 12180. You can also call the City Clerk's office at (518)279-7134. The City Clerk's Office does not accept credit/debit cards.