Vendor Permit

The Office of the City Clerk has available an application for a vendor permit. You can download the vendor permit and the required background check form from this page, pick one up at the City Clerk's office, or give us a call at (518) 279-7134 to have one mailed to you.

The completed application must be brought to the City Clerk's Office at 433 River Street for approval. This process includes a background check by the Police Department and approval by the Mayor. The permit will then be issued by the Clerk's Office.

Your application is then sent to the Troy City Clerk for final approval by the Mayor and permit issuance by the City Clerk. The Vendor Permit fee is $500 for a one-year permit and $250 for a six-month permit. Permits expire on December 31st regardless of when the permit was issued.

For food vending permits you must first obtain a food permit from the Rensselaer County Department of Health and then bring that approval to the City for a Vendor’s Permit. Please call them at 270-2655.

Vendors are required to provide a Certificate of Insurance Liability and proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance. If you are self employed or do not require Worker’s Compensation Insurance, you may request an affidavit stating the insurance is not required by New York State from the City Clerk. However, that affidavit must be notarized and signed by the Worker’s Compensation Board in Menands, New York, prior to a permit being issued.

For further information, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 279-7134.