File A Police Report Online
IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY CALL 9-1-1
Welcome to the City of Troy’s Online Police Reporting System. Using this reporting system will allow you to submit a report immediately without waiting and to print a copy of the report for FREE.
Please confirm the following to find out if filing a report online is right for you:
- This is not an Emergency?
- This incident occurred within the Troy NY city limits?
- There are no known suspects?
- Are you at least 18 years of age and have a valid email address?
- The incident DOES NOT include any of the following:
(For the incidents listed, you must call 518-270-4411 to file your report.)
– Crimes with known suspect information
– Violent crime or crime involving weapons (assault, kidnapping, robbery)
– Stolen vehicle (Theft of vehicle, trailer, motorcycle)
– Lost/Stolen firearm, motor vehicle, license plate or hazardous material
– Domestic violence
If you answered YES to all of the above questions, you are ready to file your report online. If you answered NO to any of the questions, please read our Frequently Asked Questions below.
Upon completion of the report process you will:
- See the words: “Your online police report has been submitted” showing that your police report is complete.
- Be given a police report case number.
- Be able to print a copy of the police report to keep for your records.
- All cases filed using the Citizens Online Police Reporting System will be reviewed.
- Upon review, if further investigation of your case is needed, you may be contacted.
- Filing a false police report is a crime.
Submit Police Report
Submit a police report for one of the following past crimes:
- Lost Property
- Supplement to Existing Burglary Report
- Theft from Vehicle
- Harassing Phone Call(s)
- Identity Theft & Fraud
Only information with the red asterisk * are mandatory. If you have an email address please enter it so you can get the status of your report (email addresses are not used for any other purpose).
Harassing Phone Call(s)
If you have been the victim of harassing calls and do not know the person who is calling, you can use this system.
After completing your report, please contact your phone service provider, as noted on your telephone bill, with the report number you receive at the end of this process. Follow your phone service provider’s instructions and keep track of when calls occur and the number they are from (if you have caller ID).
Identity Theft & Fraud
If you are the victim of identity theft or fraud please get and keep all papers, receipts, cancelled checks, mail from companies, etc. related to this crime. We may contact you to get these items if needed and you should keep copies for your records.
There are some groups you should get in touch with if you are the victim of identity theft or fraud, some will ask for the report number you get at the end of this online police report process.
U.S. Federal Trade Commission
Department of Motor Vehicles
- Protect your social security number and only give it out when required by law.
- No bank, auction site or other business should send you an email asking you to enter credit card information, passwords, social security numbers or other personal information. Often these fake emails will contain links to pages that look real but are not. If you suspect you are being directed to a fake site please go to the actual home web site of the company and inform them of what has happened.
- Avoid mail theft by obtaining a locked mailbox and dropping off outgoing mail at the local post office or postal mailbox.
- Do not give out your personal information or credit card number over the phone unless you initiated the call.
- Shred credit card offers and bank statements before you throw them away if you do not plan on using them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?
Answer: If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If non-emergency call 518-270-4421.
What if this happened in another city can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system?
Answer: No, If a crime took place outside of the City of City of Troy, NY Police Department please call the police department for that city.
What if this happened on a state Freeway?
Answer: If this took place on a state Freeway please call the Highway Patrol Office nearest you.
What is a known suspect?
Answer: A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.