Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, City Hall is closed to the public as of March 17, 2020. Copies of birth certificates can be obtained by mail only. Please call (518) 279-7309 for more information.
A certified copy of a birth certificate for a person born in Troy, NY can be obtained from the Vital Records office
either in person or by mail. There is a $10 fee for each certified copy of a birth certificate. We accept cash, check or a money order as payment. We do not accept payment by credit or debit card. Please make checks payable to: City of Troy.
A certified copy of a birth certificate may only be issued to:
- The person on the birth certificate if over 18 years old.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate.
- A person with a NYS court order.
You must have proper identification to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate or the birth certificate of your children. A certified copy of a court order is required for children in your custody.
Application must be submitted with one of the following types of identification (submit only one):
- Driver’s license
- State issued non-driver photo ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo ID
- Employer’s photo ID card
- Police report documenting the loss or theft of positive ID
- Two recent utility or telephone bills showing applicant’s name and address
- Two letters from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months
Request by Mail
You may also request a certified copy of a birth certificate by mailing a completed Birth Certificate Application or a signed written request along with a photocopy of one of the required IDs from the list above and the fee to:
City of Troy
Attn: Vital Records
433 River Street
Troy, NY 12180
If you submit a written request, please include your signature and the following information:
1. Full Name ( maiden name if married )
2. Date of Birth
3. Place of Birth
4. Fathers Name
5. Mothers Maiden Name
6. Number of copies
7. Address to be mailed to
8. Check payable to: City of Troy
9. Copy of one (1) type of identification listed above
Feel free to contact us with any questions. We are available Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm and can be reached at (518) 279-7309 or (518) 279-7192 .
ATTENTION: Birth and death records are NOT public records and their confidentiality is protected by New York State Public Health Law. Vital Records are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are not subject to public inspection.