Electrician Licenses

CITY HALL HOURS  |  The City Clerk's Office is located in City Hall. City Hall is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. City Hall is not open on these Holidays.

Master Electrician

The Master Electrician License Application (PDF) is available online or at the City Clerk's Office, 433 River Street, Troy, NY 12180. Return the completed application with supporting materials to the City Clerk.

Applicants should have approximately six years of experience, which can include education and training, apprenticeship, and/or employment in the electrical field. You must document your experience with transcripts, inspection certificates, and letters from current or previous employers.

Your application will be reviewed by the Board of Electrical Examiners. Upon approval by the Board, you will be informed of the next scheduled exam date. The exam fee is $100 which you can pay via cash or check at the time of the exam. Checks should be made out to Troy City Clerk.

You must pass the exam with a grade of at least 75%. If you pass the exam, the license will be issued for an additional $150 fee, payable via cash or check at the City Clerk's Office. Checks should be made out to Troy City Clerk.

If you fail the exam, you shall be entitled to a re-examination after a 90-day period. If you fail a second time, you will be eligible for re-examination six months from the date of the second exam.

2024 Licensing Exam Schedule

The next exam will be held on January 31, 2024


Each licensed Master Electrician must submit a renewal application each year. The application will be mailed to you in early October and must be postmarked no later than December 15. Make sure to update the City Clerk's Office if your mailing address changes.

Your renewal application must include the following items:

  • City law requires proof of completion of at least six hours of continuing education in the electrical field. Go to Jade Learning Site for approved online courses.
  • New York State law requires that you submit either proof of workers' compensation/disability insurance (Form C-105.2) or proof of exemption (Form CE-200). Go to Workers' Compensation Board for more information. 
    Note: you must submit one of these forms; a written statement is not acceptable.
  • A check in the amount of $150 made payable to Troy City Clerk. You may also pay in cash at the City Clerk's Office.

The City Clerk will accept late renewal applications within nine months of the deadline for an additional $250 late filing fee ($400 total). After nine months, the exam must be retaken. The City Clerk is not authorized to waive fees.

Class B

If an electrician is licensed in another city or state, they can apply for a Class B license for each job they wish to perform in the City of Troy. The Class B License Application (PDF) is available online, at the City Clerk's office, or from Code Enforcement.

Class B license fees are $200 for Residential (3 or fewer units), $300 for Antenna/Solar, and $500 for Commercial. Applications for a Class B license should be submitted to Code Enforcement for approval. Applications must include a license in good standing from another municipality or state, a Certificate of Insurance Liability or proof of Workers' Compensation Insurance, plans or drawings for the proposed project, and a check made out to Troy City Clerk. After Code Enforcement has approved the application, the City Clerk will process the payment and permit.

View the 2023 Directory of Licensed Master Electricians (PDF).


Please email the City Clerk's Office or call 518-279-7134.