Special Event Permits

CITY HALL HOURS  |  The City Clerk's Office is located in City Hall. City Hall is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. City Hall is not open on these Holidays.

Use of City property for special events, block parties, festivals, parades, etc., requires a Special Event Permit. Special Events Permits are processed by the City Clerk's Office. To apply you must submit:

  1.  A completed Special Event Permit Application (PDF)
  2. A copy of your Certificate of Insurance
  3. A Background Check Form (PDF)

If there will be additional vendors at your event, they should submit One-Day Event Vendor Permit Applications.

Complete applications must be submitted at least two weeks before the event. Applications will not be processed until all required paperwork is submitted and it may take up to two weeks to process your application.

Note: Permitting for Riverfront and Sage Parks is handled by the Clerk's Office. For all other parks, contact the Parks Department.

Insurance Requirements for Special Event Permits & Outdoor Dining

As required by Chapter 2, Section 14, of the City Code, you must carry a public liability, bodily injury, and property damage insurance policy which covers the property to be used and identifies the City of Troy as an additional named insured. Event organizers shall keep and hold harmless the City, its agents and employees for any and all claims, damages and liability of any kind whatsoever relative to or arising out of the use of the property. A Certificate of Insurance must be submitted to the City Clerk at the time of application and before any use of City property.

List the name, date, and time of your event on the Certificate of Insurance and attach to your Special Event Permit Application. Your Certificate of Insurance must name the City of Troy as an additional insured and must show liability coverage as follows:

Comprehensive General Liability

Type of LiabilityCost
Each Occurrence$1,000,000
Products and Completed Operations$1,000,000
Products and Completed Operations Aggregate$2,000,000
Advertising and Personal Injury Liability$1,000,000

If alcoholic beverages are served or sold, add:

  • Liquor Liability: $1,000,000

Depending on the type of event, at the discretion of the City of Troy you may be required to add:

  • Umbrella Liability: $1,000,000 to $5,000,000

Background Check Required

A Background Check Form (PDF) must be completed by the event organizer and, if applicable, for each One-Day Vendor.

One-Day Event Vendor Permit

Vendors who wish to participate in a permitted Special Event should submit a One-Day Event Vendor Permit Application (PDF). Even if a business already operates in Troy, it still needs a permit to vend on City property as its insurance only covers its place of business, not City property. If not currently licensed as a 6- or 12-month Vendor through the City Clerk's Office, the business must submit a One-Day Event Vendor Permit Application and supporting documents.

2023 Outdoor Dining 

Businesses who wish to participate in Outdoor Dining must submit either a Sidewalk only Permit Application or an Outdoor Dining Barricade Permit Application. The Sidewalk only permit is strictly for using the sidewalks outside of your business.  The Outdoor Dining Barricade Permit will allow the use of Parking Spaces near your business and sidewalk as well.