Are there any types of work that do not require the commission’s approval?

Interior work and ordinary exterior repairs and maintenance, such as replacing broken window glass or repainting the same colors, do not require the Commission's approval. The exception for interior work is if it affects the exterior, such as the blocking up of a window, in which case the project must be reviewed by the Commission.

The City's Bureau of Code Enforcement can tell you whether a permit is needed for work you are considering. Typically, using ladders and scaffolds in the City right-of-way requires a barricade permit. Replacing (rather than repairing) a window or door requires a building permit.

Show All Answers

1. What is my role as property owner?
2. Are there any types of work that do not require the commission’s approval?
3. What are some of the factors that the commission considers when it reviews my application?
4. Can the commission make me restore my building to the way it originally looked?
5. Will the commission make me repair my building?
6. Will landmark designation prevent all alterations and new construction?
7. How can I find architects or contractors who have experience with historic buildings?
8. I own a designated building. Should I tell the tenants in my building about the building’s landmark status?
9. I want to sell my landmark building. Must I tell the commission?
10. If I sell my building, should I tell the new owner that the building is a landmark?
11. My designated building is not capable of earning a reasonable return. May I demolish it?
12. What are the City’s provisions regarding this?
13. Are landmarks owned by not-for-profit organizations subject to the same regulations as other landmarks?
14. Is being designated a Troy landmark different from being listed on the national register?
15. How do I find out more about the effects of designation?