How can I find architects or contractors who have experience with historic buildings?

When selecting an architect or contractor, you should keep in mind that there is a growing number of professionals who are accustomed to working on historic buildings or with renovation methods that are sensitive to the historic character of old buildings. Ask professionals about their experience with landmark buildings and whether they are familiar with the Historic District and Landmark Review Commission application process. Request references and look at completed projects. The Commission does not recommend restoration professionals. Owners of historic buildings in your neighborhood and the City of Troy's Planning Department staff may be able to provide information about area contractors. You may contact the Planning Department at 518-279-7168.

Show All Answers

1. What is my role as property owner?
2. Are there any types of work that do not require the commission’s approval?
3. What are some of the factors that the commission considers when it reviews my application?
4. Can the commission make me restore my building to the way it originally looked?
5. Will the commission make me repair my building?
6. Will landmark designation prevent all alterations and new construction?
7. How can I find architects or contractors who have experience with historic buildings?
8. I own a designated building. Should I tell the tenants in my building about the building’s landmark status?
9. I want to sell my landmark building. Must I tell the commission?
10. If I sell my building, should I tell the new owner that the building is a landmark?
11. My designated building is not capable of earning a reasonable return. May I demolish it?
12. What are the City’s provisions regarding this?
13. Are landmarks owned by not-for-profit organizations subject to the same regulations as other landmarks?
14. Is being designated a Troy landmark different from being listed on the national register?
15. How do I find out more about the effects of designation?