Saturday, August 8, 2020
Office of the Mayor
Cities are Essential
State & local governments like Troy are facing significant financial shortfalls from the coronavirus pandemic, threatening our ability to maintain essential services. However, the U.S. Senate and White House have not committed to providing direct aid and assistance to state & local governments.
Cities, towns, and villages are essential to rebuilding a stronger, more resilient America in the wake of COVID-19. Mayor Madden is joining a bipartisan group of mayors and elected officials from across the country to call on the federal government to provide direct relief to local municipalities for immediate use for economic recovery.
News for your Neighborhood
- On Monday, Mayor Madden and local players celebrated the official opening of Troy’s first disc golf course, located in historic Prospect Park. Disc golf is played similar to golf, except players use a flying disc or Frisbee with the objective of completing each hole in the fewest throws. It’s a sport perfectly suited for the socially distancing era! Funds for construction were raised from local volunteers and players, making this new recreational amenity a true community effort.
- The City of Troy is accepting applications for the CDBG CV-19 funding for administration of various community and business assistance programs to help those impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Funding has been allocated through the federal CARES Act for the development of local youth programs, food pantries, and business assistance programs. Organizations interested in applying can visit the City’s Housing & Community Development website.
- On Tuesday, the Fire and Police departments were donated two sanitizing sprayers from MVP Health Care, CDPHP, and Quick Response. The sprayers will be used to help clean equipment, vehicles, and facilities to protect employee and public health. Fire Chief McMahon and Police Chief Owens, and Mayor Madden expressed their appreciation for the donation on behalf of the Troy community.
- On Thursday, city officials announced the last day to pay delinquent taxes and fees for properties in the City’s In Rem Property Tax Foreclosure Proceeding is Tuesday, August 11th. Affected property owners can make in-person payments at the Knickerbacker Ice Rink on Tuesday, August 11th, from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Payments can also be made online at www.troyny.gov/pay.
- Use Brunswick Road for your daily commute? The eastbound lane will be closed on Monday, August 10, from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., for water line maintenance work. Please observe posted detours and slow down near the work zone to help protect the safety of City crews.
Get Counted, Troy!
The Collar City is in danger of being undercounted in the 2020 Census. An undercount would leave our community, county, and region in danger of losing funding for critical services from the federal government over the next decade.
Take 10 minutes to shape the next 10 years in Troy. Get started today at www.2020census.gov or by phone at (844) 330-2020.
Significant numbers of South Troy, downtown, North Central, Hillside, and Lansingburgh households remain uncounted. Your participation will help support hospitals, fire departments, schools, roads, special education, and health services.
Census workers are following up directly with households in Troy who have not yet responded to the 2020 Census. Less than 50% of Collar City households have completed their Census questionnaire. This puts us far behind the state & national average!
Please take a few minutes to complete your form. Get started at www.2020census.gov or by phone at (844) 330-2020.
Desk of the Mayor
- On Thursday, Mayor Madden spoke with News10 about the impact of COVID-19 on the city’s budget, how the nation’s mayors, county executives, and government officials are pushing for direct assistance from the federal government, and the importance of Troy families participating in the 2020 Census.
- Earlier in the week, Mayor Madden talked with the Albany Times Union about the Trump administration’s efforts to exclude immigrants from the 2020 Census count. The mayor also criticized the Trump administration’s decision to roll back the Census deadline which increases the likelihood of an undercount in more populous states like New York.
VIDEO: Grand Opening of Disc Golf Course in Prospect Park
Mayor Madden and local officials joined local players, representatives from Disc Golfers of the Capital Region, and Friends of Prospect Park for a ribbon cutting ceremony marking the grand opening of a new disc golf course in Troy’s Prospect Park.
VIDEO: Combating COVID, One Spray at a Time
Mayor Madden joined representatives from the Troy Police and Fire Departments to accept a donation of two sanitizing sprayers from MVP Health Care, CDPHP, and Quick Response. The sprayers will be used to clean equipment, vehicles, and facilities and help protect employee health against COVID-19.
Recent spikes in local infections are reminders about the importance of wearing a face mask, practicing social distancing, and avoiding large gatherings. These minor inconveniences have enabled businesses to reopen, people to return to work, and restore some normalcy during this very difficult time for many families.
We thank the public for their understanding and cooperation throughout this period. COVID-19 has limited certain services, and continues to prevent in-person visits to City Hall. Our staff is working hard to maintain essential services for our residents, and we encourage you to contact us directly with questions you may have.
For more info on local testing sites, health protocols, and guidelines for businesses, visit www.health.ny.gov/coronavirus
- Traffic Advisory Issued for 74th Troy Turkey Trot
- City Hall Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday; Garbage, Recycling Collection Schedule Announced
- Traffic Advisory Issued for Street Paving on Myrtle Avenue, Spring Avenue
- Food Scrap Drop-Off Program Available at Troy Resource Management Facility in South Troy
- Department of Public Utilities Seeks Public’s Help to Identify and Inventory Lead Service Lines in Residential Properties