Spring Has Sprung
Dear residents and neighbors,
With warmer temperatures finally here to stay, there’s no better time to get outdoors and explore all Troy has to offer! Break out the bicycle and ride through our expansive urban trail network, or get involved with upcoming Earth Day cleanup projects this April.
Expanded vaccine eligibility continues to expand across the state. All New York residents age 16+ are eligible to schedule a vaccine appointment. Check your eligibility at www.ny.gov/vaccine
According to the CDC, approximately 74.1M people have been fully vaccinated. While this is a major accomplishment, it only represents 20% of the U.S. population. That’s why it’s so important that we all continue to use caution, avoid large gatherings, and wear a mask to reduce transmission of the virus to those who haven’t been vaccinated, including those with compromised immune systems or preexisting illnesses.
We’re in this together, Troy.
Mayor, City of Troy
News for Your Neighborhood
- Last week, the City was awarded a $67,500 grant from the Capital District Transportation Committee (CDTC) to plan for the reconfiguration of Federal Street between River Street and 6th Avenue. The study will investigate introduction of on-street parking, creation of a boulevard or pedestrian islands, and construction of a roundabout at River Street and Federal Street.
- Last Thursday, the City received a $400,000 grant to create its first official connection to the Empire State Trail. The grant, provided from the Hudson River Valley Greenway, will create a separated trail from Troy across the Green Island Bridge that will link the Collar City’s existing urban bike and pedestrian trail network to the 750-mile statewide system that runs from Buffalo and the Canadian Border in the north, to New York City.
- Last Friday, we welcomed back golfers to Frear Park Municipal Golf Course during a special first tee shot ceremony. Erin Hamilton, RN (registered nurse) in the progressive care unit (PCU) at Samaritan Hospital hit the official first tee shot of the 2021 season in recognition of the frontline medical professionals who worked to treat those infected during the pandemic. Watch a highlight video from last Friday’s ceremony on YouTube or Facebook.
- We’re accepting bids for available city-owned foreclosed properties. A total of 64 properties are available for sale, including 1 and 2 family homes, and vacant land zoned for residential use. View a full list of available properties here. 14 properties will be available for public inspection on April 21st.
- On Monday, officials with the Department of General Services and Bureau of Sanitation held their 2nd of six virtual conversations to update Troy residents on City-led initiatives aimed at increasing recycling and reduce the cost of solid waste management. Watch the video here.
- Federal grants are available to assist small businesses in Troy impacted by COVID. The deadline to submit an application is April 22nd. To apply, visit www.mycommunityloanfund.org.
- Earlier this month, the Troy Fire Department welcomed a new recruit during a small ceremony at City Hall. Mayor Madden and Chief McMahon welcomed Aaron Abelove to the department and wished him success before he departs for a 14-week training program in Utica. Watch video from the ceremony here.
- Looking to make a difference in your neighborhood? Get involved in the City’s annual Citywide Earth Day Cleanup Program this April! For more information on Troy’s annual Earth Day cleanup, or to organize a cleanup project in your neighborhood, please contact Renee Panetta, City Recycling Coordinator, at (518) 279-7171 or [email protected]
- On May 8th, we’re hosting a collection event for Troy residents to dispose of electronics recycling, shredding of confidential documents, and disposal of old tires. Registration is required, and is limited to Troy residents only. Sign-up at www.troyny.gov
- Grant Wilfley Casting is seeking Troy and Albany area locals—men, women, and children—for paid extra work in two upcoming HBO television productions, including “The Gilded Age” set to film in Troy later this year. To register, visit the Grant Wilfley Casting website.
- A special enrollment period for health insurance is open through May 15th. Visit www.healthcare.gov to find the right plan for you & your family.