August 1, 2020
Office of the Mayor
Stand Up, Get Counted!
The simple act of completing the 2020 Census will have a profound impact on the future of our community. During this COVID-19 pandemic, getting a full & accurate count takes on a new urgency in shaping the future of our hospitals and other critical health services in our city and region. Get started today at www.2020census.gov
News for your Neighborhood
- Due to technical difficulties with the City’s online payment portal, the deadline for payment of 2nd installment of 2020 property taxes has been extended through close-of-business Monday, August 3rd. Payments must be postmarked by that date to avoid late fees.
- On Friday, Congressman Tonko announced the Troy Fire Department had been awarded $399,457 for new self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) units. The award was provided through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) FY2019 Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) program. Mayor Madden and Fire Chief McMahon expressed their appreciation for this valuable public safety grant to help protect Troy firefighters.
- Did we mention it’s important to complete your Census form?Less than 50 percent of Collar City households have participated in the Census this year, far behind the state and national average. Census results determine how billions in federal dollars are shared with communities like Troy during the next decade, so an accurate count is critical to support our schools, hospitals, fire departments, and critical social services. On Monday, Mayor Madden released a video reminding Troy families to complete their 2020 Census questionnaire to increase the City’s overall response rate, part of the U.S. Census Bureau’s PUSH WEEK. Take 10 minutes to complete your questionnaire, and remind your neighbors to do the same! Get started at www.2020census.gov or by phone at (844) 330-2020.
- Got parking tickets? Now’s the time to take advantage of the City’s Parking Ticket Amnesty Program, currently underway through September 15th. Mayor Madden announced that qualified outstanding violations will be eligible for a one-time discount. Check your mailbox for written instructions on how to participate.
- Eastside residents (specifically those south of Brunswick Road and east of Pawling Avenue) may experience water pressure fluctuations, discolored water, and disruption of water service next week (M-F), from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm due to scheduled water line maintenance work. Read the full announcement from the Department of Public Utilities.
- Last Friday, the Troy Police Department welcomed 6 new recruits during special socially-distanced ceremonies. The new officers began academy training this week. Congratulations to our new officers!
VIDEO: An Inside Look
Mayor Madden and Planning Department officials toured the under-construction Incite Apartments property on King Street in downtown Troy.
VIDEO: Waitin’ on the (CDTA) Bus
Mayor Madden recognized the 50th anniversary of the Capital District Transportation Authority with a mayoral proclamation during a special event Friday at the CDTA garage in Troy. The event included a tour of the facility with CEO Carm Basile.
It’s no secret that this year has been challenging for all of us, with more hurdles ahead. However, it’s important that we work together to support our neighbors, our small businesses, and those impacted most by the COVID-19 pandemic. Please continue to follow instructions from public health experts, including wearing a face covering when in public.
For more info on local testing sites and health protocols, visit https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/
Desk of the Mayor
- On Tuesday, Mayor Madden spoke with CBS6 and News10 about the City’s efforts to increase participation from Troy families in the 2020 Census.
- Leaf Bag Drop-Off Program Available at Troy Resource Management Facility
- City Hall Connects: Spring Has Sprung
- Mayor Madden: City Accepting Bids on Available City-Owned Foreclosed Properties
- Frear Park Municipal Golf Course Opens for 2021 Season
- Mayor: City Awarded $400,000 Grant from Hudson River Valley Greenway to Connect Troy’s Urban Trail Network to Empire State Trail