Marriage License

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, City Hall is closed to the public. This page will be updated when City Hall reopens, or you can sign up for the Mayor’s email list to be notified via email.

In accordance with the Governor’s Executive Order 202.20, new marriage licenses are available via video-conference. See this document for instructions. Due to the large number of requests we receive, you should submit your application and documents a minimum of two weeks before your scheduled ceremony.

You may request a copy of your marriage certificate by mail; see instructions below. Please email [email protected] with questions.

Marriage License Applications

Along with your application form, New York State law requires you to submit an ID and Original Birth Record. You must have one item from each of the groups below:

Group 1 – Driver’s License, Valid Passport, or Employment Picture ID (No Benefit Cards)

Group 2 – Original sealed Birth Certificate, Baptismal Record with date of birth, or Naturalization Record with date of birth.

  • If your Birth Certificate is from another country, it must be translated into English and notarized as certified.

Group 3 – If previously married, for each prior marriage: a certified copy of the divorce decree with the judge’s signature or a sealed certificate of death for a deceased spouse. Divorce papers are filed with the county clerk; if you need a certified copy, contact the county clerk of the county in which you obtained your divorce.

There is a $40.00 fee which includes the license and a certificate of marriage. The fee is payable via cash or check at the City Clerk’s Office. Checks should be made out to Troy City Clerk. No refunds will be given once the license is issued.

The license you receive has a New York State mandated 24-hour waiting period before you can hold your ceremony, and is valid for 59 days thereafter. We do not hold marriage ceremonies at the City Clerk’s office – see the bottom of this page for a list of local officiants. After the ceremony, your officiant and witness(es) complete the bottom portion of the license, which you then return to the City Clerk’s office. (See example.) Once we receive the completed license, we will file it with New York State and send you a certificate of marriage.

You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for this license without parental consent and both parties to this marriage must appear in person in the Office of the City Clerk to sign the license. Licenses obtained in the City of Troy may be used anywhere in New York State.

Copy of Marriage Certificate

Marriage records are on file in the municipality where the license was originally applied for, not where the ceremony took place (e.g., if a couple obtained a license in Albany and had the ceremony in Troy; the record would be on file in Albany).

If you obtained your marriage license from this office, you can get a copy of your marriage certificate by mail. Send a copy of your driver’s license, a check for $10.00 made payable to the Troy City Clerk, you and your spouse’s full names at the time of marriage, and the date of your marriage to Troy City Clerk, 433 River Street, Troy, NY 12180. Include a phone number in case we have questions, and the address where you would like the certificate to be mailed. Upon receipt of this information, we will provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

If you are not sure whether you obtained your license in Troy and would like us to check our records before sending payment, please email a picture of your driver’s license, you and your spouse’s full names at the time of marriage, and the date of your marriage to [email protected]. We cannot verify records without identification.

To obtain a copy of a marriage certificate you must be one of the spouses or have a documented judicial or other proper purpose or a New York State Court Order. If you hold Power of Attorney for one of the spouses, you must provide a copy of your Power of Attorney with your request. All other requests should be submitted via the genealogy form (see next section).

Genealogy Search

The City Clerk’s office performs genealogy searches for marriages only. If you require searches for Birth or Death records you must contact the Office of Vital Records at (518) 279-7309 or visit their web page.

Marriage Records date back to November of 1881, and a transcript—not an image or photocopy—can be provided for the records we have. A Genealogical Services Application must be filled out and accompanied by a check for $22.00 for each search. Checks should be made payable to the Troy City Clerk. Mail the application and payment to the City Clerk’s office, 433 River Street, Troy, NY 12180. We ask that one week be given to complete the search. Please note that the fee covers the cost of the search, not the cost of the record. The fee still applies even if the record was not found.

If you are unsure where in New York State the license was filed, contact the New York State Department of Health.


New York State law states that a marriage may be solemnized by “a clergyman or minister of any religion.” Officiants do not need to register with any government entity in the city, county, or state.

If you prefer to have a civil (non-religious) ceremony, you can schedule an appointment at the following locations:

Brunswick Town Hall  (518) 279-3461, Ext 113 or 119
East Greenbush Town Hall  (518) 477-2005, Ext 5
Hoosick Town Hall  (518) 686-4571, Ext 3
Hoosick Falls Town Hall  (518) 686-7072, Ext 4
Nassau Town Hall  (518) 766-2343, Ext 4
North Greenbush Town Hall  (518) 283-2789, Ext 5
Pittstown Town Hall  (518) 753-4222, Ext 305
Poestenkill Town Hall  (518) 283-5100, Ext 105
Rensselaer County Family Court  (518) 453-5515
Sand Lake Town Hall  (518) 674-3033
Schaghticoke Town Hall  (518) 753-6915, Ext 106 or 107
Schodack Town Hall  (518) 477-7918
Troy City Court Judge  (518) 453-5930


Please contact the City Clerk’s Office via email at [email protected] or via phone at (518) 279-7134.