City Hall re-opened to the public on March 22, 2021, but we encourage you to do transactions by mail whenever possible. Be advised that only one party will be allowed in the City Clerk’s office at a time, so you may need to wait longer than usual should you choose to come in person. A mask that covers your nose and mouth will be required at all times in City Hall, and visitors are expected to adhere to public health guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

We are currently accepting Vendor Permit applications but applications must include the following addendum:

Peddler and Vendor Permits

You are required to have a permit if you plan to sell or exchange items on public property in the City of Troy at a stand, table, or tent, or by foot, cart, wagon, motor vehicle, or any other type of conveyance. If you already operate a business in Troy, you still need a permit to vend on City property (including but not limited to all streets, sidewalks, parks, etc.).

Peddler Permits are for individuals who plan to sell or exchange items by foot (no cart or vehicle) and Vendor Permits are for individuals who plan to sell or exchange items by cart, wagon, motor vehicle, or any other type of conveyance, or by setting up a table, stand, or tent on City property. Applications are available online or at the City Clerk’s Office, 433 River Street, Troy, NY 12180.

The completed application must be mailed or brought to the City Clerk’s Office. You must hold General Liability insurance that names the City of Troy as additional insured. The application process includes a background check by the Police Department, fingerprinting, and review by the Mayor’s Office. If approved by the Police Department and the Mayor’s Office, the permit will be issued by the City Clerk.

For information about opening a brick-and-mortar business in Troy, please contact the Director of Economic Development.

The following organizations hold special permits with the City of Troy and have their own application and screening processes. Potential vendors should contact them directly.

The Troy Waterfront Farmers Market

The Troy Business Improvement District (Troy BID) events: River Fest, Rockin’ on the River, Fitness In The Park, Troy Pig Out, Troy ChowderFest

The Victorian Stroll


1) Completed application form. Select one:

            Peddler License Application
            Vendor Permit Application

2) A copy of your driver’s license or photo ID.

3) Proof of insurance: Certificate of Liability Insurance. During the term of any permit, the permit holder shall carry liability insurance naming the City of Troy as an additional named insured for the period covered by the permit.

The following insurance coverage amounts shall apply:

  • $1,000,000 Each Occurrence
  • $2,000,000 Aggregate
  • $1,000,000 Products and Completed Operations
  • $2,000,000 Products and Completed Operations Aggregate
  • $1,000,000 Advertising and Personal Injury Liability

If alcoholic beverages are served and/or sold:

  • $1,000,000 Liquor Liability

Umbrella Liability $1,000,000 to $5,000,000 – amount determined by the type of event at the discretion of the Corporation Counsel.

4) New York State law requires that you submit either proof of workers’ compensation/disability insurance (Form C-105.2) or proof of exemption (Form CE-200). Go to for more information. Note: you must submit one of these forms; a written statement is not acceptable.

5) Background check form and fingerprinting. City law requires that fingerprinting be done every time you apply for a vendor/peddler permit.

6) One passport-size (2” x 2”) photo

7) Rensselaer County Health Department certification for food/beverage vendors: Obtain a food/beverage permit from the Rensselaer County Department of Health and attach it to your application. Please call them at 518-270-2711.

8) $20 non-refundable application fee. Cash, check, or money order only. Make payable to Troy City Clerk.


There is a $20 non-refundable application fee.

Peddler Permit: If your permit is approved, there will be an additional $37.50 fee for a six-month permit or a $75 fee for a one-year permit.

Vendor Permit: If your permit is approved, there will be an additional $250 fee for a six-month permit or a $500 fee for a one-year permit.


Please note the following rules from Chapter 224 of the Troy City Code:

  • You are not allowed to shout or use any sound devices (horns, bells, loudspeakers, etc.)
  • You do not have exclusive right to any location and you may not impede or inconvenience the public.
  • You are not allowed to solicit or vend within 200 feet of any school, firehouse, public building or privately-operated store or business.
  • You must display your license to any City employee or citizen who requests to see it. You must keep it in your vehicle at all times.
  • Do not alter or mutilate your license in any way.


Please contact the City Clerk’s Office via email at [email protected] or via phone at (518) 279-7134.