Snow Emergency Hotline
The City of Troy can experience significant snowfalls during the winter months. As a result, the City has developed a Snow Emergency Plan to help clear streets of snow and maintain safe driving conditions for emergency vehicles when severe winter weather strikes.
Snow emergencies are declared at the discretion of the Mayor approximately eight hours before parking restriction measure go into effect. An emergency will begin at either 8:00am or 8:00pm and will last for 48 hours.
Cooperation from residents and businesses is critically important in assisting city crews quickly and effectively clear snow from roadways and restore normal driving conditions.
Snow Emergency Parking Restrictions
During the first 24 hours of a declared snow emergency, parking on the odd numbered side of designated Snow Emergency roadways will be prohibited (unless otherwise temporarily posted). Parking on the even numbered sides of city streets will be prohibited during the second 24 hours of a declared Snow Emergency. Vehicles in violation of the parking restrictions will receive a parking ticket and will be towed, both at the owner’s expense.
To get a full list of affected roadways please see the Designated Snow Emergency streets page.
There are several ways Troy residents can find out if a snow emergency has been declared.
- Call the Troy Snow Emergency Hotline at (518) 274-8769
- Visit the City of Troy’s Facebook page or Twitter account
- Watch local television, listen to local radio and monitor regional print outlets, including the Troy Record, Albany Times Union, and other local news stations.
- Check for email announcements from the City. Residents and business owners can request email notifications by visiting the City’s sign-up page.
Overnight and Off-Street Parking
During a declared snow emergency, residents are encouraged to use public parking lots in their neighborhood. Vehicles can be parked overnight in the 5th Avenue Parking Garage and the State Street Parking Garage, along with City surface parking lots, including:
- Little Italy Market Lot
- Green Island lot
- 5th Avenue & Congress Street lot
- Knickerbacker Ice Facility lot
- Frear Park Golf Course lot
For a map and locations of available parking lots and garages please visit the City’s Municipal Lots and Garages page.
To get more information on parking restrictions and procedures please see the Frequently Asked Questions page.