The “From the Ground Up” composting pilot program provides an opportunity for Troy residents & families to keep food scraps out of their trash. This program is in partnership with FoodScraps360 and the Town of Bethlehem.
From the Ground Up: Change Powered by Food Scraps
The City of Troy has been awarded a grant by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Resource Conservation Service’s Community Composting and Food Waste Reduction Project initiative. Our program, “From the Ground Up,” provides an opportunity for Troy residents to keep food scraps out of their trash with no cost to residents. This program is in partnership with FoodScraps360 and the Town of Bethlehem.
About the Program
From the Ground Up gives Troy residents opportunity to prevent food waste from going to the landfill by separating food scraps from their garbage. We’ve partnered with FoodScraps360 to make the process as easy as possible: keep your food scraps out of your garbage, and place them in a compostable bag. Place your bagged food scraps in your lidded bucket, and the night before your scheduled pick-up, place the bucket in your assigned spot to be collected (more info below!). All materials to participate, including the lidded bucket, countertop pails, and compostable bags, will be provided at no cost to residents.
Our three-phase pilot will take place from October 2021 to September 2023. After the program finishes, the City hopes to grow the program and offer it to all Troy residents.
At the beginning of each of the three phases, there will be an opportunity to sign up. The first two phases will last approximately 6-months, and the last phase will last a year. When signing-up, pilot participants are expected to stay in the pilot for its remainder. If you experience any problems with the program, please don’t hesitate to reach us at [email protected] or call (518) 279-7313 — your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Annually, pilot participants may take advantage of a free 20-pound bag of ready-to-use compost. Additional compost can be purchased through FoodScraps360’s website.
How to Participate
- Opportunities for sign-ups: we will hold sign-ups at the beginning of each phase. For specific dates, please check back!
- Sign-up online: our sign-up button (below) will bring you to our partner, FoodScraps360’s, online form. Enter your valid Troy address and you will automatically be added to our composting program!
- Features of FoodScraps360’s customer portal:
- Opt-in for text and/or email alerts to remind you of your pickup day
- Keep track of the amount of food scraps you’ve kept from the landfill, and other environmental stats
- Purchase additional compost
HOW IT WORKS:
- Collect your food scraps: collect your food scraps when you cook, when you clean out your fridge, and when you eat – don’t throw them out! View a list of accepted items here [PDF].
- Bag and tie ‘em up: place your food scraps in the special bags, tie them up, and place them in your bucket.
- Place them curbside: the night before your scheduled collection (or the morning of), place your food scraps bucket on your curb. If your pick-up day is the same as your recycling and garbage, DO NOT PLACE YOUR BUCKET TOO CLOSE TO YOUR OTHER BINS.
- Enjoy doing what’s best for the community and the planet!
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) [PDF]