Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, brush, branches, etc.) is collected during the normal garbage collection schedule. Residents can also make a request online using our Yard Waste Form. Residents can place yard waste out with their garbage and recycling bins the evening before their scheduled day for pick up.
Please review the following guidelines for yard waste / leaf bag collection:
- Leaves and lawn clippings should be placed in biodegradable paper yard waste bags, which are available at most hardware and home improvement stores.
- Yard waste bags should only contain leaves, grass clippings, weeds, or other leafy materials.
- Leaves in plastic bags, or bagged leaves contaminated with non-organic materials (metals, plastics, cardboard, paper) will NOT be collected.
- On your designated collection day, please place yard waste / leaf bags out where they will be visible to City crews. Do not set yard waste behind cars, fire hydrants, poles, bushes, between cars or on top of sewer vents.
- Do not place yard waste or leaf bags in the street or on the sidewalk. This can block sidewalk access and can also slow down street cleaning operations.
- Brush (cuttings from trees and large shrubs) cannot be disposed of using yard waste bags. Please trim them to 4-5’ in length and place brush and other oversize branches directly on the edge of your sidewalk or alley.
- Trees and limbs that have been cut by private contractors must be removed by the contractor. Tree trimmings and hedge trimmings must be secured in tied bundles not heavier than 75 pounds, not more than 5 feet in length nor more than 18 inches in diameter.
- Setting yard waste curbside during any day/week other than the specified day/week of the residence will result in fines.
Beginning in January of 2020, Residents and property owners will no longer be required to call for collection requests, as pickup will begin in the spring on the same day as recycling and solid waste collection.
For specific questions pertaining to collection, please contact the DPW dispatcher at (518) 270-4579.
Materials Not Accepted
Yard waste bags should NOT contain:
- Plastic gardening waste (plastic plant pots, trays, or mulch/soil/fertilizer bags)
- Other non-organic materials (plastics, metal, aluminum, cardboard/paper)
- Dog waste
- Construction or demolition materials (sheetrock, lumber, etc.)
City crews will place stickers on yard waste bags:
- deemed too contaminated for collection; or
- Placed in plastic bags.
These bags will not be collected. Residents can remove the contaminating materials and place the bags out for collection at a future date.
For more information, please contact Renee Panetta, City of Troy Recycling Coordinator by Email or by calling (518) 279-7171.