Small Business Assistance

The City of Troy’s Planning and Economic Development Department has shifted its focus during these unprecedented times to providing reliable information and technical assistance to our businesses. Think of us as a 411 for all your Small Biz questions and needs during this pandemic.  

Please check back periodically as this page will be updated with additional information as available.

Contact Us

Own a business in Troy? Have questions about available resources, programs, and assistance for local businesses? Contact us by phone or email.

  1. Small Business Helpline: (518) 308-8548
    • Operating between the hours of 9:30am and 3:30pm M-F
    • All calls received outside operating hours will be directed to leave a message. A member of our team will respond via phone to set-up a phone appointment.
  2. Email [email protected]
    • A member of our team will reply as soon as possible. 

Register your business with the City’s Small Business Database! Sign up to receive important information on available federal and state assistance programs from the City’s Office of Economic Development.

Phase 4 Re-opening Guidelines

The Capital Region, and all of NYS, is currently operating under Phase 4 of the New York Forward plan.

The following industries are scheduled to reopen under Phase 4:

  • Higher Education
  • Pre-K to Grade 12 Schools
  • Low-Risk Outdoor Arts & Entertainment
  • Low-Risk Indoor Arts & Entertainment
  • Media Production
  • Professional Sports Competitions With No Fans
  • Malls

Non-essential businesses permitted to reopen under Phase 3 of NY-Forward must develop a written Safety Plan outlining how their workplace will prevent the spread of COVID-19.

For more information, including guidelines for industries reopening, visit

Outdoor Dining Guidelines for Troy Restaurants
Under directive from Governor Como, outdoor dining is permitted. Restaurants in the Collar City wishing to utilize public space for outdoor dining at their establishment must submit a special event permit application and supporting documents outlined in the permit addendum form.

Restaurants & businesses with an existing SLA license who wish to serve alcohol must also submit an SLA extension of licensed premises form with their special event application.

All materials must be submitted to the City Clerk’s office per application instructions. The special permit application fee has been temporarily waived, and the City is working to expedite approvals for outdoor dining applications. Please ensure all required documentation is included with your application to avoid a delay in approval.

For more information on the outdoor dining program please contact Dylan Turek, City Economic Development Coordinator, at [email protected] or (518) 279-7412.

Access to Capital

  1. Click here for Coronavirus Relief Options available through SBA
  2. “The Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) Program vs Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)” (KROST CPAs)
  3. Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDLs)
    • Update : SBA will begin accepting new EIDL and EIDL Advance applications on a limited basis only to provide relief to U.S. agricultural businesses. At this time, only agricultural business applications will be accepted due to limitations in funding availability and the unprecedented submission of applications already received.
  4. Paycheck Protection Program
    • The Paycheck Protection Program is designed to help employers keep their workforce employed during the COVID-19 crisis.
    • Where can I Apply?
      • Contact your existing banking institution to apply.
      • While funding is through a Small Business Administration (SBA) program, the loans are made through participating federally insured depository institution, credit unions and Farm Credit System institutions – your bank.
    • When can I apply?
    • First Draw PPP Loans for first time program participant
      Second Draw PPP Loans beginning January 13, 2021 for certain businesses who have previously received a PPP loan
  5. U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation
    Small Business Fund – No longer accepting new applications, existing applicants that meet the above requirements may be awarded grants on a rolling basis as funds become available.
  6. New York Forward Loan Fund (NYFLF)
    The fund will provide businesses across the State with low interest rate loans (3% for small businesses & landlords; 2% for nonprofits) and will prioritize helping businesses that meet the following criteria:
    ·     Small Businesses and nonprofits that employ 50 or fewer Full Time Equivalent employees
    ·     Small businesses that have gross revenues less than $3 Million per year
    ·     Businesses that have not received a PPP or EIDL loan from the SBA
    Click here for more information on the New York Forward Loan and to apply.

Taxes, Insurance and Useful Info on Payments

  1. Taxes
  2. Insurance
  3. Paid Sick Leave
  4. Unemployment Insurance
  5. New York State Resources

Access to Services and Technical Assistance

  1. Rensselaer County Tourism Free Sign Program
    • If you have a small business and need a window sign to advertise your weekly takeout/delivery specials, contact the Rensselaer County Tourism Office. Email: [email protected] or Call: (518) 270-2673
  2. Small Business Development Center
    • Click on “Make an Appointment”
    • Complete and submit the form
    • Once the request is received, you will be assigned to a Business Adviser to assist you.
  3. New York State Restaurant Association COVID 19 Resources
  4. Downtown BID – COVID 19 Business Resources Page
  5. Rensselaer County Chamber Business Resources Page

Useful Articles for Your Business

  1. Business Survival Tips During an Emergency 
  2. Update – April 2: “COVID 19 Crisis Prompts Changes to Bankruptcy Code Concerning Debtors, Consumers and Businesses” – Harris Beach, PLLC
  3. “Got kids? Try These 11 Quick Tips for Working From Home While They’re With You”, Fast Company, March, 17, 2020
  4. Info for Restaurants and Other Food Vendors
  1. Info for Contractors and Construction Companies (TBA)
  2. Info for Landlords (TBA)