For Immediate Release
March 28, 2022
Troy Residents Encouraged to Participate in Citywide 2022 Earth Day Cleanup Program
TROY, NY — Mayor Patrick Madden encourages Troy residents to join in this year’s annual City-wide Earth Day Cleanup Program. Each April, Troy residents, families, and business owners come together to organize community-driven cleanup and beautification projects at local parks, green spaces, and neighborhoods across the Collar City.
Earth Day 2022 is Friday, April 22nd. Cleanup projects will be held between Monday, April 18th and Sunday, April 24th.
Mayor Madden said, “Earth Day is an opportunity to gather with fellow community members and show appreciation for our planet and our neighborhoods. I invite Troy residents to get involved by hosting, participating in, or promoting clean-ups throughout the Collar City.”
Troy residents can make an impact on a neighborhood level, including:
- Participate in a small-scale cleanup at recommended physical distance
- Adopt a park or other green-space with your neighbors
If you are organizing a neighborhood cleanup, the City will provide clear bags for litter cleanup and yard bags for organic materials. Additional items, including Prevent Food Waste magnets, reusable bags, pharmaceutical disposal bags, and recycling bin stickers, will be available for neighborhoods to distribute to help promote a cleaner city.
To organize a project in your neighborhood, please provide the following information in the registration form here: www.surveymonkey.com/r/earth-day-2022
- organizer contact information (last name, first name, phone number and email address)
- meeting location (intersection, address or park)
- start and end time of cleanup
- date of cleanup (between April 18th through April 24th)
- pickup location of trash/recycling (intersection, address or park)
Call City Recycling Specialist, Naomi Pitkin at (518) 279-7313 or email [email protected] with questions.
On an individual level, Troy residents can take many actions to make a difference:
- Take the Earth Day Challenge, a 22-day series that allows people to connect through challenges to take action right now, and every day, for our planet.
- Commit to taking a FREE composting workshop www.bit.ly/compost-workshop-registration
- Beautify, clean up and improve your garden, front walk, or your front/back yards
- Host a virtual screening party for “The Story of Plastic” or another earth-centric movie
- Plant trees in your yard or alley for Arbor Day (April 29th) or sponsor a tree to be planted elsewhere
- Visit NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website for Earth Day tips: https://www.dec.ny.gov/public/101402.html
- Visit Earth Day Initiative for their recommendations: http://www.earthdayinitiative.org/
- Take an Earth Day pledge: https://www.earthday.org/20-20-pledge/
For more information on the annual City-wide Earth Day cleanup, including a list of available projects, visit www.troyny.gov/earthday.
Sign up to receive email updates and announcements from City Hall at www.troyny.gov/connect
For up-to-date announcements from City Hall, please visit www.troyny.gov/news
Follow Troy City Hall on Twitter: @TroyCityHall
Subscribe on YouTube: www.youtube.com/troyny
Connect on Instagram at instagram.com/troycityhall
Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/Troy518