For Immediate Release
October 31, 2019
The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory and flood watch for upstate New York, including the City of Troy / Rensselaer County.
A wind advisory will be in effect from 5:00 p.m. today, Thursday to 8:00 p.m. Friday. South to southwest winds of 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 50 mph are expected late Thursday afternoon into tonight.
A flood watch will be in effect from 5:00 p.m. today, Thursday, to 1:00 p.m. Friday. A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on current forecasts. City crews have been deployed to clear catch basins and open overflows. Residents can assist by removing leaves & debris from drains near their home or business to help prevent flooding in their neighborhood.
If a power outage occurs, customers can notify National Grid online to expedite restoration. Visit National Grid’s Outage Central website for real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and storm safety information.
National Grid has issued the following safety tips for power outages:
- If a power outage occurs, customers can notify National Grid online to expedite restoration.
- Never touch downed power lines; always assume they are carrying live electricity. Downed lines should be immediately reported to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or by calling 911.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors to prevent the buildup of deadly carbon monoxide. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger our crews and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642-4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home and be sure to charge all electronic devices before the storm.
- Please use caution when driving near emergency responders and crews restoring power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
For more information on local weather conditions, please visit the National Weather Service website at www.weather.gov/aly/
Sign up to receive email updates and announcements from City Hall at www.troyny.gov/connect
For up-to-date announcements from City Hall, please visit www.troyny.gov/news
John Salka, Deputy Director of Public Information
[email protected] / (518) 279-7131