Marriage License

CITY HALL HOURS  |  The City Clerk's Office is located in City Hall. City Hall is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. City Hall is not open on these Holidays.

See sections below for information on:

  1. New marriage license applications
  2. Instructions on requesting a copy of your marriage certificate
  3. Instructions on submitting a genealogy request for marriage records
  4. A list of local marriage officiants

Marriage License Applications

Getting married in New York State is a three-step process: 

  1. Obtain a marriage license from a municipal clerk
  2. Have a ceremony (it may be religious or secular), after which the officiant and witnesses sign the license
  3. Return the signed license to the municipal clerk

Marriage licenses are issued in person at the City Clerk's office by appointment Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4 pm. Due to the large number of requests we receive, you should call for an appointment a minimum of two weeks before your scheduled ceremony. View the Marriage License Application (PDF) for application forms for in-person appointments.

New York State law requires that you wait at least 24 hours after receiving the license before having a ceremony, and have your ceremony within 59 days thereafter. You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for this license. Both parties to this marriage must appear in person at the Office of the City Clerk. Licenses obtained in the City of Troy may be used anywhere in New York State.

FeeThere is a non-refundable $40 fee per couple which includes the license and one certificate of marriage. The fee may only be waived for active-duty military personnel who present proof of current service. We accept cash, check, or money orders.

Submit one item from each group below with your application. All documents must be original or certified copies. No exceptions. Photocopied, faxed, or digital images are not acceptable. Documents in another language must be translated into English and notarized as certified translations.

  • Group 1: Photo ID: driver's license, passport, employer or government-issued ID with name and date of birth
  • Group 2: Birth Record: original or certified copy of birth certificate with raised seal, original baptismal record with date of birth, or original naturalization record with date of birth.
  • Group 3: Previous Marriage(s), if applicable: a judgment of divorce, court-ordered annulment, or death certificate is required for each previous marriage.

Changing Your Name Through Marriage

A person's name does not automatically change upon marriage, and neither party to the marriage is required to change their surname (last name/family name). Parties to a marriage do not need to have the same surname after marriage. Either party to a marriage may elect to change their middle name and/or surname after marriage by entering the new name(s) on their application form.

The entry for New Middle Name shall consist of one of the following:

  • The current surname of the spouse electing to change their name; or
  • Any former surname of the spouse electing to change their name; or
  • The surname of the other spouse.

The entry for New Surname shall consist of one of the following:

  • The surname of the other spouse; or
  • Any former surname of either spouse; or
  • A name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the pre-marriage surname or any former surname of each spouse; or
  • A combination name separated by a hyphen or space, provided that each part of such combination surname is the pre-marriage surname, or any former surname, of each of the spouses.

One-Day Marriage Officiant License
Any person eighteen years old and over can solemnize a Marriage Ceremony in New York State after obtaining a One-Day Marriage Officiant License from the Office of the City Clerk.  A One-Day Marriage Officiant does not have to be a resident of the City of Troy or New York State.  A One-Day Marriage Officiant has the authority to solemnize a marriage anywhere in New York State.  

The fee for issuing a One-Day Marriage Officiant License is $25 payable by money order made out to “The City Clerk” or by cash or check.  Each applicant must complete an application form listing the One-Day Marriage Officiant’s name, date of birth, address, email address and telephone number.  The application form must also include the names, dates of birth, and addresses of the parties-to-be-married as such information appears on their application for a Marriage License.

A One-Day Marriage Officiant License is only valid for the parties-to-be-married as stated on the application and expires upon the completion of such solemnization or the expiration of the related Marriage License, whichever is earlier.  An application for a One-Day Marriage Officiant License may only be submitted after the parties-to-be-married have obtained their Marriage License.

A One-Day Marriage Officiant’s obligation is not limited to presiding over the Marriage Ceremony.  The One-Day Marriage Officiant must ensure the various parties sign in the appropriate places and ensure the return of the completed Marriage License, with the One-Day Marriage Officiant License attached, to the specific office of the City Clerk that issued the Marriage License within five days after the Marriage Ceremony.

Please visit the City Clerks office to receive your One Day Officiant License.

Copy of Marriage Certificate

Marriage records are on file in the municipality where the license was originally applied for, not where the ceremony took place (e.g., if a couple obtained a license in East Greenbush and had the ceremony in Troy; the record would be on file in East Greenbush).

If you obtained your marriage license from this office, you can get a copy of your marriage certificate in person or by mail. Bring or send a copy of your driver's license, cash, check or a money order for $10 made payable to the Troy City Clerk, you and your spouse's full names at the time of marriage, and the date of your marriage to Troy City Clerk, 433 River Street, Troy, NY 12180. Include a phone number in case we have questions, and the address where you would like the certificate to be mailed. Upon receipt of this information, we will provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

If you are not sure whether you obtained your license in Troy and would like us to check our records before sending payment, please email the City Clerk a picture of your driver's license, you and your spouse's full names at the time of marriage, and the date of your marriage. We cannot verify records without identification.

Genealogy Search

The City Clerk's office performs genealogy searches for marriages only. If you require searches for Birth or Death records you must contact the Office of Vital Records at 518-279-7309 or visit the Genealogy page.

Marriage Records date back to November of 1881, and a transcript-not an image or photocopy-can be provided for the records we have. A Genealogy Search Application (PDF) should be filled out and accompanied by a check or money order for $22, made payable to "Troy City Clerk." The fee covers the cost of the search, not the cost of the record. The fee still applies even if the record was not found. It may take up to one week to complete the search.

Marriage Officiants

New York State law states that a marriage may be solemnized by "a clergyman or minister of any religion." Officiants do not need to register with any government entity in the city, county, or state.

The City Clerk's office does not perform marriage ceremonies. If you prefer to have a civil (non-religious) ceremony, you can schedule an appointment at the locations in our Resource Directory.


Please email the City Clerk's Office or call 518-279-7134.