- Public Works
- Yard Waste Collection
Yard Waste Collection
Brush and Branches
Brush and branches are collected by request only. To schedule a pickup day, please contact the Department of Public Works dispatcher at 518-270-4579 or schedule online.
Bagged Leaves and Yard Trimmings
Bagged leaves and yard trimmings (yard waste) are collected during regular garbage collection day.
No collection on these holidays. Yard Waste will be collected on the next business day following the holiday.
- New Years Day
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Leaf Bag Drop-Off Program
Troy residents can dispose of bagged leaves at the Troy Resource Management Facility (former Alamo) in South Troy on Thursdays, 9 am to 1 pm.
Guidelines for Yard Waste / Leaf Bag Collection
- Leaves and lawn clippings should be placed in biodegradable paper yard waste bags, which are available at most hardware and home improvement stores.
- Yard waste bags should only contain leaves, grass clippings, weeds, or other leafy materials.
- Leaves in plastic bags, or bagged leaves contaminated with non-organic materials (metals, plastics, cardboard, paper) will not be collected.
- On your designated collection day, please place yard waste / leaf bags out where they will be visible to City crews. Do not set yard waste behind cars, fire hydrants, poles, bushes, between cars or on top of sewer vents.
- Do not place yard waste or leaf bags in the street or on the sidewalk. This can block sidewalk access and can also slow down street cleaning operations.
- Brush (cuttings from trees and large shrubs) cannot be disposed of using yard waste bags. Please trim them to 4 to 5 inches in length and place brush and other oversize branches directly on the edge of your sidewalk or alley.
- Trees and limbs that have been cut by private contractors must be removed by the contractor. Tree trimmings and hedge trimmings must be secured in tied bundles not heavier than 75 pounds, not more than 5 feet in length nor more than 18 inches in diameter.
- Setting yard waste curbside during any day/week other than the specified day/week of the residence will result in fines.
Yard waste bags should not contain
- Plastic gardening waste (plastic plant pots, trays, or mulch/soil/fertilizer bags)
- Other non-organic materials (plastics, metal, aluminum, cardboard/paper)
- Dog waste
- Construction or demolition materials (sheetrock, lumber, etc.)
City crews will place stickers on yard waste bags:
- Deemed too contaminated for collection
- Placed in plastic bags
These bags will not be collected. Residents can remove the contaminating materials and place the bags out for collection at a future date.